Saturday, July 11, 2015

Questions asked about glass beads for doll eyes

Thought I would share this since I have been receiving emails asking questions about the glass bead eye's. Some have said to me what is the tip to drilling the iris in? I use a diamond bit called a burr. Another question was I have but mine doesn't want to really drill the hole what am I doing wrong. Well I really can't say what anyone would be doing wrong but I can give you my experiences. My diamond bit I have never replaced one yet and have used it not just on these glass beads but other things. I found for myself if I went for a little cheaper bit I had trouble. 2nd I found in my researching with glass suppliers that there are different quality of glass beads. Some will say glass but are (plexi glass) then there is acrylic glass. How do you tell what your getting? By the weight and feel. Glass has a feel to it and a heavy weight. As for drilling I found the drilling part not to corporate with the two types of glass I mentioned. When I payed attention to the feel and weight is when the drilling became what the diamond bit is able to do with glass.
So, the next time if you decide to buy glass beads pay attention and make your choices. After I learned there was a difference I was able to tell right away if it were solid glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment