Friday, February 13, 2015

View pictures below. This wig was made for my commission fashion doll tutorial and I will have the tutorial on my youtube art channel soon.
I wanted to share something with my youtube followers. It was back in the early 2000 when I had been an active seller with Ebay. At that time polymer clay dolls were getting noticed and at a rapid pace. I feel very blessed I had fallen into an era of time selling my work and becoming noticed to my buyers. As I was making my dolls I was taking a lot of what I had learned with porcelain dolls and applying it to polymer so things went relatively easy for me. There were some techniques and products that everyone seemed to be doing and using but I wasn’t comfortable and I was having to figure out how to do things different and feel good and secure with my own way and one of them I want to share with you is applying hair to your dolls. It bothered me so much to be taking hair and just sticking onto the dolls head. I just never liked the technique and felt it was a sloppy job.. I even took a dolls head and I drilled tiny holes throughout the whole head and then inserted small strands of hair into the holes. It worked wonderfully but took forever lol. So, I went back to gluing the hair back onto the dolls head. Every time I did I felt again it was sloppy and I need to do it different. So, I made a wig cap and I sewed strands of hair onto the wig cap and then glued it all on to the dolls head. It took some time but I felt much better but I didn’t follow through with every doll. Sometimes glued then others I made the wig cap and sewed the hair on to the cap.
I had an auction up and I had several new buyers email me and they were asking how I was applying the hair. Well the doll I had up was one that I made a wig cap and I told the buyer the truth it was hair sewing on a wig cap and then glued on the head. I also mentioned sometimes I just glue the hair to the dolls head with very good glue. She said this to me and it’s when I decided to go with a way that felt right to me and I had been on a right track. She said, many dolls she had purchased the hair was falling off by strands and she didn’t want to buy anymore dolls if their hair was glued onto the head she wanted the hair to be secured better. I totally understood what she was saying and at that time many people were coming into sculpting and selling and they were using glues that weren't holding up so that caused a problem with buyers trusting the product. So, that alone made me think more and I realized again that my thinking had been leading me with a better product.
There are many different ways to making wig caps and rooting but you just need to practice and see what is more interesting and enjoyable to making. And many of you may always use glue and that is what’s comfortable to you not saying here it’s wrong. For people that are new to this world of sculpting just make sure if you choose to apply hair strands with glue your using very good glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment