Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A very common question I would like to share smoothing your clay

A very common question I get asked a lot is how do I get my clay so smooth? To start off with lets just take the question right to the beginning of sculpting. I have seen many students they want to start smoothing way to early into there project. To start smoothing you should be finished sculpting all the raw clay into your sculpture. I have tried so many products to smooth and I'm going to share what I found that did not work for me. Remember if anyone does different it's not wrong for anyone it's all about what works only for YOU.
I don't use baby powder this got into my raw clay and when cooked I had white marks. No not moonies it was powder, Found out that baby powder is to fine and if your clay has some good oil going through it then it can get trapped and build up. No talcum powder either.
Plain 100% Corn Starch with no aluminum. Corn starch works with your dry soft paint brush. Corn starch will just keep rolling around the surface. With a very light touch keep going over the same spot until it's satin smooth. Now your piece will have a very smooth feel to it and it's ready to be cooked.
I never use baby oil it always leaves my clay tacky and dirty. I don't ever use smoothing oils for clay, worked just like baby oil for me that is. If I ever needed to use an oil it would be coconut oil. Tiny tiny amount. But the way I sculpt I don't need to put oil on it to smooth, the corn starch is all I need. Also make sure before you cook that your clay doesn't have big dips in the clay. Uneven. This will take you into more work and can discourage you with your piece of work. Most important take your time. Sometimes in one area I can work on it for days. Sculpting is therapy let it do the work not you. Enjoy every stroke of movement with your clay.



2 comments:

  1. thank you so much for all your advices! your art is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here. So, glad I could give out some info to help.

      Delete